Password

Album Review

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Am I The Enemy Album Cover

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Am I The Enemy

Reviewed by
The Red Jumpsuit ApparatusAm I The Enemy
Record Label: Collective Sounds
Release Date: August 30, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Now three albums into the game, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus just cannot repeat the success of Don’t You Fake It. Whereas on Lonely Road the group went for a more radio-rock style, on Am I The Enemy they’ve chosen to take a more pop-oriented route, which at times works, but at other instances falls incredibly short.

At most points, the record just sounds overproduced and stale; even Ronnie Winter’s vocals lack the flare heard on older tracks such as “False Pretense.” Due to the production quality, it all just sounds…fake. The drums sound too electronic, and Winter’s vocals lack any emotion, a huge fault line throughout the record. Likewise, the random electronic-tinged pieces throughout the record further prove Red Jumpsuit are just trying too much, as heard on the opening “Salvation.”

It’s clear that this time around Winter went for bigger choruses, making some tracks almost reminiscent of Craig Owens’ latest work with Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows. Take the single “Reap” for starters – the intro is a total misfire and the chorus is another attempt to be a poppy hook backed by huge guitars, but it all just doesn’t mix. On the other hand, sometimes this formula does work, with the chorus of “Wake Me Up” actually being enjoyable, although the rest of the track is ruined by the odd drum production and vocal delivery.

As the poppy tracks overtake the record – at times working (“Dreams”), at other times falling flat (“Angel In Disguise”) – you start to wonder where the furious screams present throughout Don’t You Fake It have gone. I suppose the pop direction works to the Jumpsuit’s advantage at times, as the optimistic “Don’t Lose Hope” is moderately memorable. Still, it all just sounds uninspired, as the band seem to have lost the edge that drove the angst within their critically acclaimed debut record. Sure, “Fall From Grace” picks up the pace more than other tracks with gruff guitars; however, it’s the unnecessary guitar solo and boring song structure that again makes it fall by the wayside, making even the short burst of screams unremarkable, unfortunately.

As “Choke” (from The Hell or High Water EP) closes the record, it really does nothing to save Am I The Enemy, although the pounding drums and screams are a much needed addition to the record. The issue is that it’s these screams and actual emotion that could have saved parts of Am I The Enemy, rather than the overproduced instrumentation and insipid vocal delivery that replaced The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus’ edge. Thus, as the record ends, it’s clear that third time proves not to be the charm here, unfortunately, as many of us who were fans of DYFI keep hoping for that band to return. Maybe next time. Maybe next time.

Recommended If You LikeLonely Road; the style of Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows’ D.R.U.G.S. and Hawthorne Heights’ Skeletons; poppy music; red jumpsuits

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Salvation
2. Reap
3. Wake Me Up
4. Am I The Enemy
5. Dreams
6. Dive Too Deep
7. Where Are The Heroes
8. Angel In Disguise
9. Don’t Lose Hope
10. Fall From Grace
11. Choke
12. Reap (Radio Edit)

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus are:
Ronnie Winter – Vocals
Josh Burke – Guitar
Randy Winter – Guitar
Joey Westwood – Bass
Jon Wilkes – Drums

Facebook

Follow Me On Twitter http://www.twitter.com/RyanGardnerC

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 65
11:44 AM on 08/28/11
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Great review. I like how you included what could've made the album turn around.
Also, this review should be subtitled "Ronnie Returns: The Sequel."
12:30 PM on 08/28/11
iebeltje
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love this band.
12:55 PM on 08/28/11
brandon_260
User Info.
I don't think this band will ever be able to come back, I haven't liked much of anything since Don't You Fake It. I probably won't even waste my time with this one. That being said, DYFI will always hold a special place with me.
12:56 PM on 08/28/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I don't think this band will ever be able to come back, I haven't liked much of anything since Don't You Fake It. I probably won't even waste my time with this one. That being said, DYFI will always hold a special place with me.
Love "Warm Blood Rush" - very nice
12:58 PM on 08/28/11
brandon_260
User Info.
Love "Warm Blood Rush" - very nice
I can't get enough of Defeater lately. I'm so glad a randomly picked up their album.
01:02 PM on 08/28/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
hahahahahaha the cover art
01:05 PM on 08/28/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
hahahahahaha the cover art
It looks like the head is like..on backwards/turned all the way around - know what I mean? haha
01:16 PM on 08/28/11
schlotty
See you later, Joben!
User Info.
This band is the enemy to my ears.
01:43 PM on 08/28/11
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
Waiting for Ronnie to bitch at the score again
02:00 PM on 08/28/11
Quijiba
User Info.
yeah im not the biggest fan of this record, although i do think it is better than lonely road. Which isn't really saying much cause that was a train wreck of an album
02:11 PM on 08/28/11
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Nice review. A few too many references to DYFI, I noticed.
04:24 PM on 08/28/11
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
WELL LOOK AT THE ITUNES REVIEWS AND YOU'LL BE PROVEN WRONG

-xzildjianxksldf;lkj234pq298347qlkjd h
06:48 PM on 08/28/11
cholly
User Info.
No matter how much crap I read about this band, and no matter how many times I assault my ears with the atrocity that is Lonely Road, I still find myself getting excited about new music from them.
10:57 PM on 08/28/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
these guys have been completely forgotten by the general public, idk why they keep trying to get their attention. the success of "face down" was just a fluke.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos